Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Be and Have Part 1 (Membahas Tuntas ToBe)

Be and Have

Grammar summary

Be (am/are/is/was/were)

• We can use adjectives, nouns or expressions of place after be
She is late. - I’m hungry. - Are you a doctor ? - Is everybody here ?
• We use a special structure with be – there is – to introduce things : to say that they exist.
There’s a strange woman at the door. - There are some letters for you.
• Be can be an auxiliary verb in progressive tenses.
She is working. - It was made in Bandung.

Have (have/has/had)

 We can use have or have got to talk about possession, relationships and some other ideas.
Do you have a car ? - I don’t have any brothers or sisters. - Bejo has got a headache.
• And we can use have to talk about some kinds of actions.
I’m going to have a shower. - What time do you have breakfast?
• Have can also be an auxiliary verb in perfect tenses .
I haven’t seen her all day. We knew that he had taken the money.

To be or not to be, that is the question. (shakespeare hamlet)
Is there life before death ? (seamus heaney )
There’s a thin man inside every fat man. (george orwell)
You can have it all, but you can’t do it all. (michelle pleiffer)
If you’ve got everything, you’ve got nothing. (leni macshow)

Be: Iam happy today. - Are we late ?

+
i am - you are - he/she/it is - We are - they are
?
am i? -  are you? -  Is he/she/it? -  Are we? -  Are they?
-
I am not - you are not -  He/she/it is not - We are not - They are not.
I am a doctor - Are you American. -  We are not ready.

Put in am, are or is.
You... are...late
1. we ..........very well
4. I .......... happy today.
2. My sister .......... a doctor.
5. I think you .......... tired
3. Budi and bejo .......... in Jakarta
6. Our house .......... very small.

In conversation and informal writing, we use contractions :
I’m - you’re - he’s - she’s - it’s - bejo’s - the train’s - we’re - they’re
I’m a doctor - You’re late. -  Bejo’s in jakarta. -  The shop’s open - We’re ready.

To make questions (?) with be, we put the verb before the subject
Statement (+)
I am late
The car is here
We are late.
Your keys are in the car
Question (?)
Am I late ?
Is the car here ?
Are we late ?
Are my keys in the car

Do you know all these question words ?
Who  – What - when - where – why – how
Contractions with is : who’s – what’s – when’s – where’s – how’s – why’s
Who’s that ? -  What’s this? – When’s the party ? – Where’s the station? – Why are we here ?
How are you ?

To make negative (-) sentences with be, we put not after am/are/is or ’m, ’re, ’s.
I am not sundanese. – we are not ready. - I’m not tired. -  She’s not here. – They’re not my friends.

We can also make contractions with n’t : you aren’t, she isn’t, etc (BUT NOT I amn’t).
We often use be with : hungry, thirsty, cold, hot, right, wrong, afraid, interested, what colour?, what size? And be with ages.
Have you got anything to eat ?I’m hungry.I’m coldIt’s very hot here in summer.
It’s late. – You’re right. – Let’s go. – Are you afraid of spiders ? – What colour is her hair ?
What size are your shoes ? – How old are you? – I’m 17. – I’m interested in politics.


Silahkan komen atau contact me jika belum jelas atau ada yang mau ditanyakan.

Thank you so much. See u next time in another lesson.... 

Make it easy , Keep spirit & Be the best !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Terima kasih sudah membaca blog saya, silahkan tinggalkan komentar”