Saturday, May 30, 2015

Present Tenses (Part 3)

PRESENT TENSE (Waktu Sekarang)

Pressent progressive : use – I’m (not) working today.
We use the present progressive to say that things are (not) happening now or around now.
  • I’m working just now.
  • It’s raining again.
  • Eva’s taking driving lessons.
I’m sorry, I can’t come out. I’m working just now. (Compare : I work every day.)
Look – it’s raining again. (compare: it rains every day here.)
Dewi’s taking driving lessons.(compare: A lot of people take lessons with that driving school.)
I’m not enjoying this party. (compare : I usually enjoy parties.)

NOTE : We do not use a present tense to say how long something has lasted.
I’ve been waiting since 3.00. (NOT I’m waiting since 3.00)

Present progressive questions – Is it raining ?
?
Am I working? – Are you working? – is he/she/it working? – Are we/they working?
We make present progressive questions with am/are/is + subject + ...ing

+
It is raining
You are working
The children are making something
?
Is it raining?
Are you working?
What are the children making?

Be careful when question have long subject – the word order does not change.
Is dessy working today ?
Are dessy and her father working today ?
Are dessy and her father and mother and the others working today?
(NOT Are working today dessy and her father and mother and the others? )

Present progressive 
+
I am working
You are working
He/she/it is working    
We/they are working
?
Am I working?
Are you working?
Is/he/she/it working?
Are we/they eorking?
-
I am not working
You aren’t working
He/she/it isn’t working
We/they aren’t working
Contractions : I’m, you’re, he’s etc (not) ...ing; you aren’t, he isn’t etc ...ing
                        What’s he ...ing? where’s she ...ing? when’s it ...ing? etc

The two present tenses : the difference
SIMPLE PRESENT: I work etc
PRESENT PROGRESSIVE: I’m working etc
·      Things that are always true
·      Things that are happening now
·      Things that happen all the time,
Repeatedly, often,sometimes, never etc
·      Things that are happening around now
The sun rise in the east
The sun is not shining today
She often wears pink
She’s wearing a blue dress
I play tennis
I’m playing a lot of tennis these days.

Non – progressive verbs – I don’t understand.
Some verb are normally used in simple tenses, not progressive, even if we mean’just now’ 
I like this weather.(NOT I’m liking this weather) – What does he want?(NOT what is he wanting?)

THE MOST IMPORTANT NON- PROGRESSIVE VERBS
Hate, know, like, love, mean, need, prefer, seem, understand, want.
I hate this music. – ‘We’re late.’’I know.’ – I live that colour. – do you understand?
What does this mean? – I need some help – ‘Tea?’ ‘I prefer juice.’ - Rini seems unhappy.

OTHER COMMON NON-PROGRESSIVE VERBS
Agree, believe, depend, matter, mind, recognise, remember.
‘This is a terrible film.’ ‘I don’t agree.’ – ‘Sorry I’m late.’ ‘it doesn’t matter.’
I recognise her, but I don’t remember her name. – ‘Can I borrow the car?’ ‘ it depends. Until when?’
‘There’s no more orange juice.’ ‘I don’t mind. I’ll have water.’ 

Think, see, look and feel can be progressive with one meaning but not with another.
NON-PROGRESSIVE(I think etc)
CAN BE PROGRESSIVE(I’m thinking etc)
Think (that..)=’have an opinion’
I Think you’re wrong.
See = ‘understand’
I see what you mean.
Look like = ‘seem like’
That looks like our car.
Feel = ‘have an opinion’
I feel you’re making a mistake.
Think (that..)=’plan, look at ideas’
I’m thinking about the holidays.
See = ‘meet’
I’m seeing the doctor today.
Look like = ‘turn eyes towards’
What are you looking at?
Feel ill/tired etc (can be progressive or simple)’
I’m feeling ill. OR I feel ill.

Sekian postingan tentang PresentTense kali ini. Semoga semakin menambah pemahaman teman-teman tentang cara mengungkapkan kalimat untuk situasi saat ini.

Silahkan komen atau contact me jika belum jelas atau ada yang mau ditanyakan. Atau ingin berbagi ilmu tips dan trik belajar bahasa inggris.

Mohon kritik dan saran,....!!! Semoga disini bisa menjadi media pembelajaran bersama untuk kemajuan dalam berbahasa inggris kita. Amiin...

Thank you so much. See u next time in another lesson....

Make it easy , Keep spirit & Be the best !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

“Terima kasih sudah membaca blog saya, silahkan tinggalkan komentar”