Saturday, May 30, 2015

Present Tenses (Part 2)

PRESENT TENSE (Waktu Sekarang)

Grammar & Vocabulary : common simple present questions
How do you pronounce this word?
How do you spell that?
What does this word mean?
How much does it cost/ do they cost?
What do you do? (=’what is your job?’)
How do you do ? (=’I’m pleased to meet you’)
Do you know Bagol?
Where do you live/work?
What time does the train/bus/plane leave/arrive?
What time does the film/concert/class start?

Simple present negatives – I don’t know – she doesn’t know
-
I do not work –You do not work? – He/she/it does not work – We/they do not work

Contractions : don’t, doesn’t

We make simple present negative (-) with/do/does not + infinitive (without to).
STATEMENT (+)
NEGATIVE (-)
 I know
I do not know (NOT I know not )
You think
You do not think
He likes
He does not like
She remembers
She does not remember
It helps
It does not help
We want
We do not want
They understand
They do not understand

NOTE : one negative word is enough.
Nonody understands me.(NOT Nobody doesn’t understand me.)
She never phones me. (NOT She doesn’t never phone me. )

Simple present 
+
I/you/we/they work – He/she/it works
?
Do I/you/we/they work? – Does he /she/it work?
-
I/you/we/they do not work – He/she/it does not work

Contractions : don’t, doesn’t

Example :
Why computers are like women:
Nobody understands the language that they use when they talk to other computers.
They never tell you what is wrong, and if you don’t know, you ‘re in trouble.
They remember your smallest mistakes for ever.
 Why computers are like men :
They know a lot of things but they are very stupid.
After you get one for yourself, you soon see a better one.
They like to go fast but they always crash.

Present progressive :  I’m reading; I’m not working.

+
-
I am working – you are working – he/she/it is working – we/they/are working
I am not working – you are not working – he/she/it not working etc

Contractions: I’m, you’re, he’s (not) .. ing; you aren’t, he isn’t etc ..ing
What’s he .. ing ?, where’s she ...ing?, when’t it ..ing? etc

We make present progressive verbs with be (I am, you are etc). 
Novi is studying javanese. – I’m not working today.
We use contractions (I’m, Novi’s, isn’t etc) in coversation and informal writing.

HOW TO MAKE –ING FORMS
·      Most verbs + (-ing) : work àworking , sleep à sleeping.
·      Verbs ending in e: (E) + (-ing)  :  make à making, hope à hoping
·      -ie change to y + (ing)  :  lie à lying.

 DOUBLING (stopping, running, etc)
·      One vovel + one consonant
à Double consonant + ing : stopà  stopping (NOT stoping ) run à running
·      Two vowels : don’t double: sleepàsleeping waitàwaiting (NOT waitting )
·      Two consonants: don’t double  : want àwanting(NOT wantting ) helpàhelping
·      Only double in STRESSED syllables: beGINàbeginning BUT HAPpen àhappening.

Sekian postingan tentang Present tense kali ini. Semoga semakin menambah pemahaman teman-teman tentang bahasa inggris.

Silahkan komen atau contact me jika belum jelas atau ada yang mau ditanyakan. Atau ingin berbagi ilmu tips dan trik belajar bahasa inggris.

Mohon kritik dan saran,....!!! Semoga disini bisa menjadi media pembelajaran bersama untuk kemajuan dalam berbahasa inggris kita. Amiin...

Thank you so much. See u next time in another lesson....

Make it easy , Keep spirit & Be the best !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

“Terima kasih sudah membaca blog saya, silahkan tinggalkan komentar”