Saturday, May 30, 2015

Present Tenses (Part 1)

PRESENT TENSE ( Waktu Sekarang)

Grammar summary
Simple Present
I work, she works, he doesn’t work, etc
Present Progressive
I am working, she is working, he isn’t working, etc

English has two “Present” tenses.
Ø We use the simple present mostly to talk abot thing s that are always true, and things that happen repeatedly.
>> Cats eat fish. – My grandmother lives in Bandung. – I work every Saturday.
Ø We use the present progressive (or present continuous) to talk abot things that are happening just around the time when we speak.
>> Look! The cat’s eating your shoe. – I’m working hard these days.
Ø We can also use the present progressive to talk about the future.
>> I’m seeing Lidia tomorrow.

Simple Present * affirmative -  I work ; you work; she works.
+
I work – you work – he/she/it/works – we work – they work

I live – you live – he/she/it lives – we live – they live

I stop – you stop – he/she/it stops – we stop – they stop
I work in a bank. – He works in a restaurant.
You live near my brother. – she lives in Padang.
We stop the lessons at 5.00. – The train stops at semarang.

HOW TO MAKE HE/SHE/IT FORMS
Ø Most verbs : + (-s) | work à works, know à knows, rain à rains
Ø -s, -sh, -ch, -x : +( -es) | pass à passes, wash à washes, teach à teaches, mix à mixes.
Ø Exceptions: go à goes, do à does, have à has

VERBS ENDING IN –Y
Ø Vowel +y : -ay, -ey, -oy, -uy : +(-s)  say à says
Ø Consonant + y : -dy, -ly, -py, -ry,etc +(-ies) : fly à flies

Simple present : use – I work in a bank,

We use the simple present to talk about :

Ø Things that are always true.
The sun rises in the east.
My parents live near Tanjung pinang.
Ø Habits and things that happen repeatedly
Bagol plays tennis on Sunday
Ø We often use the simple present with words that tell you how often : for example always, never, often, sometimes, usually, once a day, twice a week, every year, all the times.
She always forgets my birthday. – I often get headaches. – You never listen to me.
We play basketball twice a week. – it rains all the time here.

We do not use present tense to talk about how long something has lasted.
I have known her since 2010. (NOT I know her since 2010. )

Simple present questions – Do you remember me ?
?
Do I work? – do you work? – does he/she/it work? – do we work? – do they work?

We make simple present questions (?) with do/does + subject + infinitive(without to).
STATEMENT (+)
QUESTION (?)
I know
Do I know?
You think
Do you think?(NOT Think you? )
He likes
Does he like? (NOT Does he likes? )
She remembers
Does she remember?
It helps
Does it help?
We want
Do we want?
They understand
Do they understand?

Do you know all these question words ?

What – when – where – who – why – how – how much – how many – what time

What do you think? (NOT What think you ? ) – Where does Dessy live? (NOT Where lives Dessy?)
How much does this cost? (NOT How much this costs ? )
What time does the train leave? (NOT What time the train leaves ? )
Be caceful when question have long subjects – the word order does not change.
Where does Dewi live ?
Where does your other sister live ?
Where does your sister’s old Javanese teacher live?
(NOT  Where lives your sister’s old Javanese teacher ? OR Where does live your ... )  

Sekian postingan tentang Present Tense kali ini. Semoga semakin menambah pemahaman teman-teman tentang cara mengungkapkan kalimat untuk saat ini.

Silahkan komen atau contact me jika belum jelas atau ada yang mau ditanyakan. Atau ingin berbagi ilmu tips dan trik belajar bahasa inggris.

Mohon kritik dan saran,....!!! Semoga disini bisa menjadi media pembelajaran bersama untuk kemajuan dalam berbahasa inggris kita. Amiin...

Thank you so much. See u next time in another lesson....

Make it easy , Keep spirit & Be the best !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

“Terima kasih sudah membaca blog saya, silahkan tinggalkan komentar”